Thursday, March 3, 2011

Facebook Letters, the modern form of communication;)

One snowy day in November, during Thanksgiving break, I opened my in-box to find a letter waiting for me! My dear friend Tabitha had decided to become creative in the middle of a snowstorm we were having and send me this letter, via facebook! The following is our short correspondence over the long miles of internet.

My dearest Caroline Rose Farris,

Greetings and salutations from the house of St. Arbucks. I have been here now for ten minutes enjoying the most attentive service of the local. I have in my hand a curious beverage which the locals call coffee (they say it will be all the rage in about one hundred years, and I might concur). The gentleman who served me my beverage added a yellow liquid to my coffee which adds greatly to the fire. I only wish you were here to enjoy some as well, but alas I know it cannot be.

I miss yourself brightening my company as now I must content myself while pursuing the virtues: inspiration, survival, and caffeine.

I have not much news from this side of the world other then that our mutual friend Miss Cannon is studying the science of chemistry tonight leaving me time to complete my correspondence.

The weather here is shockingly cold and they say we may have snow soon, but I surely hope not as that may impede my journey tomorrow in order to see my kin.

I hope this letter finds you as it left me in the best of health and spirits.

Yours etc.

Tabitha Ewert


My response:


Dearest Tabitha,

Your letter has reached me in the best of health and has given me the greatest pleasure in reading it.

I wish to send you my deepest apologies on not being able to join you at this strange place called St Arbucks that you have mentioned. It sounds delightful and quaint. How glad I am that you are enjoying a taste of the local drink! If it is at all possible for you to secure the recipe for making such a delicacy it would please me greatly!

Thank you for the news of Esther, how delighted I am to know that she has continued in the science of chemistry. That always did seem to suit her. It will be most beneficial to her overall knowledge and the furtherance of her education. Wouldn't you agree?

I plead with you to be especially wary in this barbaric weather. A broken limb won't serve you any good or aid you in the passing of exams, and if you disregard my advise and misfortune befalls on you because of it, I will laugh.

There have been recent predictions of more snow.

But tomorrow I plan to settle down with a cup of hot spiced cider and completely ignore those bothersome white snowflakes.

May you have the most enjoyable thanksgiving and find tomorrow to be one of great cheer.

With regards,

Caroline Rose Farris

Needless to say, I much prefer this method of letter writing, instantaneous while at the same time old fashioned :)You'd be surprised how exciting the little red notification on your in-box can be, almost the same as holding a tangible letter in your hand.

3 comments:

  1. Should it be spelled "Communication"? and that coming from me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's to say how communication should be spelled? And if it's right or wrong? I protest!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's to say? Your mother might.

    ReplyDelete